September (Crystal)







Cornbread: Mama Style

1 ½ c. self-rising flour
¾ c. corn meal
¼ c. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 c. milk
¼ c. vegetable oil
1 egg

Preheat oven to 400°F

1. Combine all dry ingredients

2. Add the egg and vegetable oil and mix until moistened.

3. Pour into an oiled pan and bake for 20-25 minutes, until edges are golden brown and the center has risen but not cracked.

Gastrography

Cornbread divides my family: my mom and I could live on cornbread and cornbread alone, and my brother and my dad could live without it, ever. Every time Mom makes cornbread, usually to go with a big pot of beans, Dad insists on making rice. It’s a point of contention. She always says, “You’re making rice?” in a slightly injured tone. Then he asks if she wants some, and she says that she doesn’t. Then, he always asks me the same question.

When my family has beans for dinner, I eat cornbread and rice. This compromise probably ruins my goal of eating a balanced meal, but at least it contributes to keeping a balanced family.

No comments:

Post a Comment