March (Crystal)







Spinach and Broccoli Quiche

Frozen or prepared piecrust
1 sweet yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 broccoli crown
2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
Butter for sautéing
8 oz. Swiss cheese, grated
3 eggs
8 oz. half and half

Preheat the oven to 375°F

1. Steam the broccoli; drain well.

2. Sauté the onion until translucent; add the garlic and mushrooms.

3. When the mushrooms have cooked down a little, add the spinach.

4. Add the broccoli and cook for a few minutes longer.

5. Spoon the veggie mixture into the piecrust.

6. Add the cheese on top of the veggie filling.

7. Whisk together the eggs and half and half in a bowl.

8. Pour mixture over veggies and cheese, filling the piecrust.

9. Bake 35-45 minutes, or until center is firm. Allow to cool at least 10 minutes before serving.

Gastrography
When I was younger, we would go to my grandparents’ house for brunch, and quiche was a favorite all around. However, for most of my childhood I thought that “quiche” was pronounced “Keith” and made by none other than my Uncle Keith. My uncle didn’t usually cook, so I thought it was really cool that the one thing he made was so delicious. This belief lent quiche a certain mystical and special quality, and the first time I saw quiche on a menu I was shocked to find that it was not a special dish made only by my uncle. Of course, when I mentioned this impression my parents laughed at me and said that Keith didn’t even make quiche—Grandma did! Needless to say my estimation of my Uncle Keith bumped down a few notches.

Years later, during my first quiche-making attempt another mystery occurred. When I placed my freshly baked quiche on the counter top to cool, it exploded! Glass, egg, veggies, and cheese sprayed everywhere. Tiny slivers of Pyrex stuck in my arms and coated every inch of the counter top and kitchen floor, making every move a danger. I was completely baffled, laughing somewhat hysterically. After the dust had settled, my roommate and I realized that she had turned on the wrong stove burner: the quiche had been setting on the front burner for a few minutes, and she had meant to turn on the back burner to boil some water. She convinced me that it would be unethical to serve my quiche, and we ate cereal instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment