July (Crystal)

Pancake Time!!!

1 ½ c. self-rising flour
1 c. milk (vegan option: vanilla soy or almond milk!)
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 egg (vegan option: omit and use a mashed banana)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Dash of cinnamon

Delicious options: mashed bananas, sliced strawberries, blueberries, or chocolate chips! Or any combo thereof!

1. Mix all ingredients in a bowl.

2. Heat a pan with a little oil in it over medium high heat.

3. Cook batter until bubbles form and burst, then flip the pancake.

4. Serve with syrup or honey and fresh fruit.

Gastrography

Pancakes are one of about three things that my dad cooks like a pro, the others being spaghetti and omelets. And hash browns. Okay, he can basically cook delicious breakfasts and boil pasta.

When I went to college, I called my dad to get his pancake recipe one Sunday morning. I wrote it down carefully in my journal and cooked up a batch right away. They were awful! Thin like paper and completely flavorless. I tried again and again over the next few months, and they were always just terrible. Eventually, I called Dad again, asking why they were so bad. I read the recipe I had written down back to him. He quickly explained my problem: I had managed to write down every single measurement wrong. My pancakes have improved dramatically since then.

No comments:

Post a Comment