December (Crystal)









Corn Chowder

1 large potato, diced
2 c. fresh or frozen corn, cooked and drained
1 large onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
Chili powder, thyme, parsley
2 c. half and half
2 c. water
2 tbsp. butter
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Melt butter and sauté onion and garlic.
2. Mix in potatoes, water, spices, and corn.
3. Bring to a boil; cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and carefully scoop half of the soup into a blender or food processor; blend until solids are mostly liquefied.
5. Add blended soup back into the pot and gently stir in the half and half over low heat.
6. Serve immediately; do not overheat after adding half and half.

Gastrography
Corn chowder, to me, is the ultimate comfort food. It brings to mind sitting on the floor in front of the fireplace in my parent’s home on a winter evening, watching some kind of ridiculously nostalgic Christmas movie. My mom always cooked it with bacon, and everyone protested that it couldn’t be the same without that critical element. When I made it at home last winter break, my brother fried a pan of bacon strips and put them right on top of his bowl of soup in protest. However, with a little chili powder, I would argue that it is even better than the original.

Last Christmas, I continued the chowder tradition by cooking a huge pot of this soup to share with friends and roommates on the night we decorated the Christmas tree. We strung popcorn decorations and sang carols and sipped heavily spiked eggnog. It was the first Christmas season that I celebrated away from home, and it felt nice to continue family traditions while creating my own festivities with friends. According to one cookbook, corn chowder is a light soup, great in the spring or summer, but, to me, it will always be a Christmas meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment