April (Charles)




















Gastrography
You might be raising your eyebrows at April’s recipe selection, and I wish I could give you some consoling remarks about how delicious this recipe is, but the truth is I have not yet tried my dandelion wine. I made it back in March and now have to wait until September (white wine needs 6 months to ferment) until I can drink it. An old friend in Canada, Mel Weatherhead, gave this recipe to me. Mel went to St. Stephen’s University but was taking a semester off my second semester and living in Halifax, Nova Scotia. We began writing letters to each other over Christmas break and continued to write each other through out the semester. Needless to say, I began to have feelings for Mel. In the end it did not work out, but it was still a very great time in life.

She sent me this recipe in one of her letters as you see it on the left. Again I wanted to preserve the original copy because this is exactly what I used to make my own wine. If it is kind of confusing (especially since the Canadians use the metric system), but no worries, just improvise. As Charles Darwin notes, “those who learned to collaborate and improvise most effectively have prevailed.” I waited at least two years before I actually made the wine since dandelions are not as abundant in South Carolina as they are in Canada. However, about a month ago, my friend Brien and I were walking past an abandoned lot downtown filled with dandelions. I leapt at the opportunity, and we picked every dandelion in the field. I just hope it tastes all right.

No comments:

Post a Comment